Sunday, October 28, 2007

Chimpanzees and Language

I have always had an interest in the behavior and learning capabilities of animals. In particular though, chimpanzees have always intrigued me since they are our closest relatives. In fact, we share 98 percent of our DNA with chimpanzees! By integrating the fields of anthropology and psychology, I intend to gain a better understanding of the linguistic capabilities of chimpanzees. Over time, debate has risen over cases in which chimpanzees have learned to use American Sign Language in order to communicate. Some evidence shows that chimpanzees engage in complex cognitive processes that result in an understanding of the signs and symbols used. However, some behaviorists will disagree and assert that such responses are merely the result of learned associations that have been reinforced or punished in the past. The purpose of this blog will be to explore the debate between cognition and association regarding the use of language by chimpanzees.

I have already been exposed to some of the more prominent cases associated with this issue including that of Washoe, Lana, and Kanzi. Further, I have substantial knowledge about behaviorism and the debate over learning as a complex or simple process. I anticipate that I will find substantial evidence that suggests that chimpanzees possess the ability to understand the language they use and learn. However, I think that such evidence will often be questioned in terms of its methodology and tendency to arise in the form of anecdotes rather that scientific data. Further, there is no evidence for the formation of mental representations because this is something that can not be physically observed. Still, I hope that by doing an in-depth analysis of this issue I can make suggestions about further research that needs to be done and possibly propose limits of the capabilities of chimpanzees based on the evidence provided in the fields of anthropology and psychology.

No comments: